Central School, Escondido CA

First built in 1938, Central School is the oldest school in the Escondido Union School District.  The Kindergarten and Pre-School were overcrowded and obsolete plus the infrastructure throughout the campus was in poor shape.  The District and LAi teamed up to replace and enlarge the Kindergarten and Preschool plus provide a new utility infrastructure to support them.  In addition to the 21,000 sq. ft. of new construction, the project included changing the campus circulation system between the new and old buildings to achieve accessibility compliance.  The aesthetic for the new buildings was intended to respect the original campus design and reflect the craftsman bungalow housing and offices of the surrounding neighborhood.